Posted by: Aker Kasten Eye Center in Eye Health on June 30, 2017
Our eyes are phenomenal in their ability to perceive depth, color, and light. Here are some fascinating characteristics about your eyes:
- Eyes are the second most complex organ after the brain. With 256 unique identifying characteristics, as opposed to fingerprints which have just 40.
- Our sense of touch, taste, smell, hearing, and sight happen seamlessly and automatically. With all of our sensory capabilities, did you know that 80% of what we learn happens with our eyes? 80% of our memories are also created by what we perceive.
- Eyes heal fast. With the appropriate treatment, a small corneal scrape can mend within two days.
- Dogs are the only other species other than humans to look for visual cues in the eyes. Interestingly, dogs only seek out these cues from humans.
- The human eye is about one inch in diameter and weighs around one ounce.
- Over 2 million parts and mechanisms come together to make the eye work properly.
- Eyes are larger than you think. Only 17% of the eyeball is visible.
- Your eyeballs are the same size now as they were when you were born and will remain that size until you die. On the other hand, the ears and nose grow throughout your life.
- Eyes will begin to develop within only two weeks after conception.
- Eyes are perfectly positioned for optimal protection. They sit in a hollow socket where eyelashes help shield them from dirt or debris. The eyebrows help hinder sweat from trickling into the eyes.
- The cornea, or layer at the front of the eye, is the single tissue in the human body that doesn’t have blood.
- The “red eye” you see in photos happens when the flash from the camera reflects off the back of the eye. It is red because behind the retina is the choroid which is packed with blood vessels.
- The average human eye will blink 12 times a minute.
- A blink will last about 1/10 of a second.
- Visual intake is such a significant part of day-to-day life that half the brain must be used to consume all the information.
If you have any questions about eye health or to schedule an eye exam, don’t hesitate to call Aker Kasten Eye Center today at (561) 338-7722.