Posted by: Aker Kasten Eye Center in Eye Conditions, Eye Exam on September 15, 2018
Our eyes are arguably some of the most wondrous organs in our body. They allow us to perceive depth, comprehend spatial concepts, see color, appreciate nature, and notice a smile. But did you know that 80% of our memories are determined by what we see? As wild as it may seem, it’s true. So are the rest of these 6 fun facts about these miraculous things we call our eyes!
- The placement of our eyes is very important. The hollow eye socket allows for extra protection while the brows stop sweat from dripping down. Meanwhile, the eyelashes hinder dirt and dust from flying into the eyes.
- The corneas of your eyes have been the same size since birth, and will remain that size for your entire lifetime. The nose and ears continue to grow from the day you are born!
- Can you read your dog’s mind by merely making eye contact? Humans and dogs happen to be the only (known) species to search for visual cues in someone else’s eyes. Dogs will only search out these cues when they interact with humans!
- Although a fingerprint has 40 unique characteristics, an iris has 256! No wonder retina scans are becoming the preferred method for security purposes.
- Following the brain, the eyes are the most complex organ.
- Eyes can heal extraordinarily fast. A corneal scratch needs only 48 hours to start to improve.
Arrange your consultation
With how incredible our eyes are, we should never take them for granted. Show your eyes some love by arranging your next eye check up today. Regular eye assessments will allow your eye doctor to catch the signs of developing eye problems before they become difficult to manage. Special test are done to ensure your eyes look and remain healthy.
At Aker Kasten Eye Center, we want you to experience the best eyesight you can possibly have—at any age. Our services range from a comprehensive eye exam to eye surgery. Reach out to our office today by calling (561) 338-7722. We look forward to helping you!